11/4/10

Second weddings (LOL, I'm not even done with my first marriage yet) are on my mind.  No, I'm not engaged, no, there are no immediate plans for anything like that, although we have discussed it & we both want to marry each other.  And he mentioned that I should be mulling plans over in my head.  How does a couple plan a second wedding?  Is it supposed to be a big deal?  Do you invite every single person you've ever spoken to or do you just show up at the courthouse & say "I do"?  My closest friends know I'll marry him--they're just waiting to see how I'm going to do it because they know it won't be conventional.  But I'm not even sure what conventional means when you talk about re-marriage.

These are the things I do know:  We will get married locally.  I refuse to travel to our homestate for the convenience of others (the majority of our families are there).  I figure if they want to be a part of it, they can drive their happy asses here.  It's only 4 hours.  ONLY.  I can hear the grumbling already.  But oh well, we make that fucking trip at least once a month so I refuse to feel bad about that.

It has to be summer & I think I want to have it outside.  But Oklahoma summers are brutal.  I'm the only one I know who is happy when it's 100 degrees.  But still, an early evening affair with a drunken dance/party afterward in some kind of dance hall or someone's barn would be good.  I want it to be away from the city--we were both raised in the country, and that feels right.

I don't want traditional vows.  We both did that before.  Now that we have experienced how marriages can be or how they can end, there are more important things to me than "love, honor, cherish" and "richer or poorer"....not that I don't agree with those but there are a lot more things I need to add that are much more colorful.

Orange.  There has to be orange involved.  And some yellow.  Maybe some red, too.  Bright.  Festive.  Warm.  Inviting.

Do you send invites to a second wedding or do you just say SHOW UP?  Can you see how informal we are? 

Bridal parties (do you know how hard that is for me to say--it sounds SOOOO girly & so pretentious).  Right now, I can't think of anyone besides myself that needs to stand up there.  I don't need help except for maybe someone to hold the ring until it's time.  Is that okay? 

Clothing:  He mentioned once that shorts & flip-flops work for him (and that really is saying something because he's a total redneck who wears boots & jeans & not much else).  But when we started seeing each other, it was over 100 degrees & I insisted he put on shorts & flip-flops....and I got him addicted.  :)  So if he wears shorts & flip-flops, which is totally fine with me, I'm not sure what to do with that.  Do I wear shorts & flip-flops?  I kinda want to.  But on the other hand, he's never seen me in a dress & that would be cool, too, with flip-flops, of course.  And not a traditional wedding dress.  Just a simple kinda sundress....kinda like this one:  http://www.myshape.com/shop/style/207069?utm_source=CI&utm_medium=feeds&utm_campaign=CI-Shopping&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=21-64930767-2

And food:  One of my most-awesome friends said she would do all the food if I didn't make her travel.  That's tempting.  But what kind of food?  Light & airy or a meal?  If it's in the evening, I'm thinking a meal but nothing formal....meat & potatoes kinda thing (it's a midwestern thing, anyway).  But of course, someone will be making me something vegetarian so I can eat, too.

Speaking of food, let's discuss the cake--I want something really awesome on the eyes but it doesn't necessarily have to be a "traditional" cake.  I was thinking if I have a traditional cake, the topper would have to be flip-flops.  Just a thought.

And I don't want people to dress up.  I want them to be comfortable.  I want them to wear jeans or shorts.  If you're in a barn, you do not need to be in your Sunday best & besides, if you're invited, you know how informal we are.  Let's just get the formalities out of the way and start drinking beer. 

Beer:  Probably a couple three kegs.  After that, byob.  Ya think?  And btw, I'll have had several beers BEFORE the nuptials are ever spoken.  Or maybe some Hot Damn for good breath.  LMAO....

So let me hear from you guys.  Thoughts?  Ideas?  Suggestions?  Memories of your own weddings? 

No comments:

Post a Comment